Nominations are now closed for the 2021 Awards.
About The Nominations
We encourage you, before the closing date, to nominate people who continue to make us proud as African Australians living in the ACT and who contribute positively and significantly to achieve better outcomes for themselves, their community and the broader ACT community.
Your nominees could be people who are well known in the community or ordinary people who go out of their way to make a difference to the ACT society.
This 2021 Awards, we are Specifically calling on the community to Nominate some of our courageous Essential Workers who served the ACT Community during the Global pandemic.
- To be eligible for nomination, applicants must: Be recognized as African or of African heritage (is or was a citizen of an African country; or has at least one parent or grandparent who is or was a citizen of an African country); or is an Australian individual, group or organization who has contributed to propagating African values or ideals or have consistently supported an African cause
- be Australian residents living in the ACT or organizations with a base in the ACT.
- have been residing in the ACT for a minimum of two years at the date of nomination. All Nominees must have made a significant contribution and shown excellence over a period of time in the category which they are nominated in.
Brief Explanation of The Award Categories That Can Be Chosen From The Dropdown Menu
- Public Health Emergency Award: This Award is in Recognition of ACT Essential Workers who have Provided exceptional Service to the Community during the Corona Virus Global Pandemic.
- African Australian Diaspora Award For African Australian or organizations who have made immense contribution to the socio economic development of Africa. This award is presented to African Diasporas visiting home to contribute to Africa Development.
- Community Leader Award For African Australians who have shown exceptional leadership in community aairs and causes, either in relation to African communities or ACT communities generally.
- African Australian Youth Leader Award For African Australians who have shown exceptional leadership to young Africans in ACT or the ACT communities generally.
- African Australian Business Award For African Australian businesses or entrepreneurs who have developed businesses that serve the unique needs of African residents in ACT
- African Community Organization of the yea Award For African Community organizations which have demonstrated exceptional dedication, commitment and assistance to their communities in ACT.
- Community Initiatives Award For African Australians who have developed or championed initiatives, including charities, events or programs to enhance the welfare or development of the Australian communities in ACT. This category may also include other Australians who have developed or led initiatives, which have assisted African Australian communities.
- African Australian Volunteer of the Year Award For African Australians who have made a mark as volunteers for a cause or causes aecting either the African community in Australia or the general community in ACT.
- Sporting Excellence Award For African Australians who have made significant contribution or achievement in sports in ACT.
- Professional Excellence Award For African Australians professionals in ACT who have distinguished themselves in their service to the general community through their professional skills and community commitments.
- Academic Excellence Award For African Australians who have achieved excellence in academic endeavors at any level of education.
- Afrocentric Entertainer of the Year Award For ACT based groups or individuals who have contributed in a sustained way to African Australian Entertainment internationally, nationally or locally in any art or music form.
- Human Rights & Human Services Award For groups, organizations, and individuals, who have made great or outstanding contributions to the promotion, defense or respect for the human rights and other humanitarian needs of African Australians in ACT or Africa.